Women's Lacrosse

Syracuse adds former midfielder Sydney Pirreca as assistant coach

Courtesy of Courtney Culbreath

Pirreca had 10 goals and six assists in three games against Syracuse between 2016 and 2018.

Fresh off appearing on 2019’s Tewaaraton Award Watch List for the Florida Gators, Sydney Pirreca will transition into coaching after being named an assistant coach for Syracuse women’s lacrosse. The move comes after Regy Thorpe announced he was leaving the Orange after last season to coach and manage New York’s NLL team.

“We’re excited to bring in a young, energetic coach,” head coach Gary Gait said in a Syracuse Athletics press release. “As a player, she was fierce and intense. She was a leader on her team. We know she’ll bring that attitude to our sideline.”

Pirreca started 19 games for the Gators last season and became the sixth-highest scorer in program history. The former midfielder has experience coaching at Mount Sinai High School and was an assistant coach for the Long Island Elite Yellow Jackets club team in 2014, the release said.

Syracuse is coming off a 16-5 campaign that saw its season’s end in Evanston, Illinois in the NCAA tournament quarterfinals. The Orange will return four of its five top scorers from last season.