Field Hockey

No. 10 Syracuse falls to No. 6 Virginia 3-2 in double overtime

Aidan Groeling | Contributing Photographer

Virginia's Adele Iacobucci tapped in the game-winning goal in double overtime to hand the Orange their second straight ACC loss.

Pieke van de Pas dribbled the ball to her right just outside the 25-yard line at the 3:37 mark of the fourth quarter. With two defenders in front, van de Pas weaved her way through, entering the scoring circle. She had a step on Jans Croon, and sent a back-handed strike to the top right of the net past UVA goalkeeper Tyler Kennedy.

The goal by van de Pas tied the game at 2-2, and highlighted a second half in which the Orange outshot the Cavaliers 12-3. In the second half, Syracuse controlled possession, leading in penalty corners 9-1. Even after an advantage in almost every offensive category during the third and fourth quarters, the game went to overtime tied at 2-2.

No. 10 Syracuse (6-2, 0-2 Atlantic Coast Conference) and No. 6 Virginia (6-3, 1-1 Atlantic Coast Conference) played nearly 20 extra minutes in overtime, but in the final minute of double overtime, Virginia won 3-2. SU goalkeeper Brooke Borzymowski made nine saves but the Cavaliers were accurate, leading the Orange in shots on goal 12-9. It was SU’s first home loss in 13 games.

With 33 seconds left, Syracuse was called for a foot foul, creating a penalty corner for Virginia. Dani Mendez-Trendler passed the ball to Croon at the top of the scoring circle, who sent a shot forward. Before the shot could make its way to the goal, Adele Iacobucci deflected the ball up in the air towards the goal and past a diving Borzymowski, sealing the 3-2 victory for Virginia.

Despite Syracuse leading in penalty corner attempts during the game 13-9, Virginia capitalized with all three goals coming off the penalty corner.

In the eighth minute, Virginia forced its first penalty corner. Mendez-Trendler passed the ball in, setting up for Croon, who shot but was blocked. On the shot attempt, Sienna Pegram was called for a stick foul, which set up a second penalty corner.

Mendez-Trendler sent the ball in and Emily Field fired on net, but Borzymowski dove to her right to deflect the ball away. The ball fell right in front of Mendez-Trendler who tapped the ball into the goal out of reach of Borzymowski, giving UVA an early 1-0 lead.

Just three minutes into the second quarter, Virginia doubled its lead on another penalty corner. Mendez-Trendler fed the ball into Noa Boterman who fired to the left side of the net. Borzymowski made another diving stop, sending the ball back out to the top of the scoring circle where Boterman stood. Boterman went to her left and sent a pass to Laura Janssen on the right post who tapped the ball in for the 2-0 lead.

Two minutes later, Aiden Drabick had the ball in the right corner on the Virginia side. Drabick dribbled into the scoring circle and found Olivia Bell in the thick of the Cavaliers’ defense for a 10-yard pass. Using just one touch, Bell sent the ball to the top right corner of the goal, past a diving Kennedy.

In the remaining 10 minutes of the second quarter, Virginia had three more penalty corners, but all three, Syracuse avoided conceding after a block by the SU defense and a Borzymowski save. Despite UVA leading in shots 11-4, the Cavaliers led 2-1 going into halftime.

At halftime, Syracuse head coach Lynn Farquhar told her team to embrace the pressure Virginia was applying. SU played with more intensity, garnering two penalty corners in the first three minutes of the third quarter.

At the end of the quarter, Virginia still led 2-1. But Syracuse controlled the possession for most of it, outshooting the Cavaliers 6-1.

“We had a game plan,” Farquhar said. “As the game got faster, we stuck with it. When we stuck with it, it worked.”

In the fourth quarter, Syracuse led in penalty corners 5-1. The Virginia defense kept the ball away from the net, with van den Nieuwenhof firing twice but blocked each time.

With less than two minutes in the fourth quarter, Boogert passed in a penalty corner to van de Pas. Boogert received the ball back from van de Pas, but Kennedy stopped the shot to keep the score at 2-2 heading to overtime.

Three minutes into overtime, Syracuse was the first to put a shot on goal. Van de Pas fired but her shot was off the crossbar, missing high.

After the first 10 minutes of overtime, neither team could score, sending the game to a second overtime period.

In the sixth minute of double overtime, Syracuse created a penalty corner. Boogert passed the ball in and van den Nieuwenhof shot, but her shot was saved by Kennedy who had a season-high seven saves.

With 1:13 remaining, Jannemijn Deutman was called for a green card, causing SU to play one woman down for the remainder of the period. Syracuse outshot Virginia 18-17, but fatigue played a role in the end, Farquhar said.

“In overtime, it was more of an attention to detail. Both teams are tired, it’s just finishing in the moment,” Farquhar said.